Sunday, April 6, 2008

Learning Theories

I enjoyed this assignment - especially looking for a little extra background information other than assigned readings - and what I discovered is that I have become completely at home with doing research on line using search engines and tapping into the library. I'm not sure when that happened - it used to really throw me for a loop!
Our group split the research and I chose the constructivist learning theory. Though I use a constructivist approach with many of my lessons, I do not use it for all. I truly agree that knowledge a student can construct is better understood than knowledge that is merely transmitted to them.
As group leader, it was my job to compile everyone's learning theories after we had all read and edited. This should have been easy - another group member had put together a table for us to use and I thought it would just be a matter of cutting and pasting. It wasn't. I got tangled up in entries that had bullets that were difficult to remove in order to make the document uniform. charts were not all exactly the same and had to be adjusted. Fonts were different. One member added color to subtitles - a great touch, but I had to figure out how to do that to the rest of them too. All of this sounds simple, but to me it was not. The point of this narrative is to say that I actually constructed learning (go me!) by trial and error. I think I learned more than I would have if someone had given me instructions on how to fix things. I will certainly remember now.
The final problem I had was getting my finished document to look just as good on the discussion board as it did on my computer. Even though I saved it in Rich Text format, the one posted on the discussion board had all kinds of spaces that the saved document did not. Here is where I cried UNCLE and called my neighbor to help. We played around with it, and finally were able to post it like it was intended. I cannot even tell you what we did in the end. The end result was that I owed my neighbor a six pack, and I feel like our entry reflected the careful work of my group members.
Here is my question - Why would a document that is saved in rich text NOT transmit as saved? I am wondering if it has anything to do with my having VISTA and other team members having different operating systems. Could they have saved differently?

No comments: