Sunday, March 30, 2008

Learning Theories

This week's assignment was to look at different learning theories and also tie in how technology can be used to support those theories. My focus was on the Constructivist learning theory, and even though I thought I knew a lot about it, there was still much to learn. Teaching using this method is definitely more work than merely transmitting knowledge to students, but I think it is WAY more rewarding to see the children construct their own knowledge and drive their own learning. If we believe in assessment as a tool to drive instruction, then the formative assessments a teacher uses with a lesson taught with the constructivist method is valid and useful. I was interested to learn about MUDs and MOOs and even WOOs and would like to do some research to see how I can incorporate these into my classroom learning.

I am nervous about being group leader for this project. My group consists of three very competent computer users and me. They have all been very patient and helpful to me as I have grown through this class, but now they are putting their fate in my hands! I appreciate all of them posting entries well ahead of the due date to help me get it all organized to post. I will attend the face to face class offered tomorrow in hopes to learn how to do a spreadsheet - that seems like a good way to organize the information.

No comments: