Sunday, March 23, 2008

Web - based lesson / amazing new technology

After reading Chapter 8 in our textbook, I found a web-based activity for my students. It is an international webpage that links students from different countries together as pen-pals. (see page 254 in text if you are interested). I have found a class in Australia with students that are the same age as my children. We will be partnering with a class from Australia to exchange information about culture, customs, foods, and leisure activities. I am hoping that once this progresses we will be able to have some voice to voice contact through Skype. My students (when they get back from Spring Break) will be very excited!

I just purchased a Garmin navigational device - perfect for me who is perpetually lost. All I have to do is program in an address and it directs me turn by turn to my destination. If I take a detour during part of the trip, it will recalculate my route and tell me. I can even just program in a general destination like Mexican Restaurants in Birmningham and it will give me a variety of places to choose from. My favorite feature is how I can just press favorites and home (already programmed in) and it will direct me back home from any destination. I am so excited and am ready to go ANYWHERE!

No comments: